Transition between RRMS and SPMS
The transition period between RRMS and SPMS is loosely defined . A study largely looking into this phase of MS is the European Betaferon trial in secondary progressive MS . About 70% of patients in this study (n=718) had superimposed relapses on their progressive phase at study entrance . The study achieved positive results in favor of Betaferon treatment across the spectrum of clinical and MRI outcomes  and led to the approval of Betaferon as a treatment for secondary progressive MS with superimposed relapses [2,3].
Patients on Betaferon compared to placebo had:
- a 1.6 times lower probability of disability progression 
- a 1.5 times lower probability of becoming wheelchair bound 
- about 33% fewer relapses 
- about 65-78% fewer newly active lesions (months 1-6 and 19-24) .
- Freedman MS et al. J Neurol 2020; 267(1): 64-75. Return to content
- European Study Group. Lancet 1998; 352(9139): 1491-7. Return to content
- BETAFERON® European Summary of Product Characteristics, October 2020. Available at: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/betaferon-epar-product-information_en.pdf. Return to content
- Kappos L et al. Neurology 2004; 63(10): 1779-87. Return to content