BETAFERON: Mode of action
As patients become clinically more vulnerable, how a DMT works may become increasingly relevant . In preclinical studies, Betaferon, a member of the cytokine family, has shown to possess antiviral , anti-inflammatory  and immunoregulatory activities . In MS, Betaferon modulates the immune system at many levels  and so differs from classes of therapies which essentially target one immunological pathway .
A simplified illustration of the immunopathogenesis of MS [3-6] and an overview of the pleiotropic mechanism of action of interferon beta in MS is provided in the general section about Betaferon on this website . The exact mechanisms of interferon beta in MS remain uncertain [3,7].
With a broad mechanism of action, Betaferon may be a valuable treatment option for patients with MS as they become clinically more vulnerable [3,8,9].
- Schweitzer F et al. Curr Opin Neurol 2019; 32(3): 305-12. Return to content
- BETAFERON® European Summary of Product Characteristics, October 2020. Available at: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/betaferon-epar-product-information_en.pdf. Return to content
- Kasper LH, Reder AT. Ann Clin Transl Neurol 2014; 1(8): 622-31. Return to content
- Kieseier B. CNS Drugs 2011; 25(6): 491-502. Return to content
- Wiendl H, Kieseier B. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2003; 12(4): 689-712. Return to content
- https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Helferzelle (accessed Dec 30, 2020). Return to content